my girls

my girls
MacKenzie (Mac) age 11 and Camille (Mille) age 8 1/2

Thursday, March 31, 2011

April Fools' Day Fun!

A couple of years ago I started the tradition of playing a little prank on my kids for April Fools' Day.  Well actually it didn't start as a "tradition" I found a cute idea one year and thought I would do it and then the years after that my kids would get excited wondering what joke I was going to pull on them this year!  So the tradition began, I'm actually glad because I LOVE traditions!!  Hopefully they'll do it for their kids and so on.  So last year I froze milk in a clear cup, when they tried to drink their morning milk nothing came out!  They loved it!!!!  On a side note...don't try to pull a prank on your hubby by telling them one of your kids fell and broke their arm.  Especially if your hubby is out of town and doesn't want to be!  I found that out the hard way, didn't go over very well.  If I remember correctly it was the first and only time Craig actually hung up on me. Ouch, it still hurts to this day.    Not the best idea, if he did that to me I would be soooooo mad!!!!! Sorry about that, learned my lesson.   
  This year I'm doing a couple of things and hopefully they'll be a hit.  The morning of April Fools' day I'm going to serve them cereal, but of course it's not normal cereal!  I am freezing it as we speak and in the morning I will add new cereal to cover up the frozen part.  I think they'll laugh.  Another thing I'm doing is making "special cupcakes!"  It will really throw them for a loop because I'm doing an early April Fools' day prank (because of that they really won't suspect anything tomorrow morning, the cereal will be great!) Mac is spending the night with a friend tomorrow so I can't serve them for dinner, I thought about sending them to school with a cupcake but I want to see their reaction!  They look like normal cupcakes but they're really meatloaf with pink mashed potatoes on top!!! They will think I'm such a nice mom to serve dessert first, ha!  For other ideas look at www.familyfun.com fun ideas!!!!

It worked out good because I had a little bit of crushed up cereal left so I don't feel like I wasted anything!
Yummy! They'll never know!!!
All the ingredients for mashed potatoes and meatloaf (thank goodness the entire family loves meatloaf!)
In the cupcake liners ready to go, bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
I made the mashed  potatoes and added red food coloring.
Then I iced the little cupcakes.
I tried one for lunch and it's yummy!  Once they take a bite I will add a little pepper I couldn't put that in the potatoes.  I'm not sure how to explain pepper on cupcake frosting! :o)
Happy April Fools' Day!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment